BACKGROUND INFORMATION RELATING TO THE B+ BATTERY CONNECTOR RECALL.
Following an ongoing quality analysis at BMW, it has been determined that the plug-in contact of the positive battery cable on the front power distribution box can become damaged. This is caused by vehicle vibrations and frictional corrosion, together with a high load current. As a result, damage to the plug-in contact can impair the power supply of the vehicle. Until the recall repairs have been performed, it is important to note the early symptoms detailed below:
- The vehicle central locking system fails sporadically
- It is no longer possible to start the engine
- Flickering of the instrument panel
- Jerking or momentary power loss from the engine whilst driving
If the above early symptoms are ignored, a loss of electrical power and cutting out of the engine may occur.
Which vehicles are affected:
The B+ battery connector recall affects certain selected vehicles of the predecessor generations of the BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, BMW Z4 and BMW X1 from the production period March 2007 to September 2011 inclusive.
- BMW Z4 (E89) Produced from 02/12/2008 to 30/11/2009BMW
- X1 (E84) Produced from 19/08/2009 to 15/06/2011
- BMW 1 Series 3-door (E81) Produced from 19/02/2007 to 09/07/2011
- BMW 1 Series Coupé (E82) Produced from 29/08/2007 to 09/07/2011
- BMW 1 Series (E87) Produced from – 08/02/2007 to 30/06/2011
- BMW 1 Series 5-door (E88) Produced from 26/09/2007 to 09/07/2011
- BMW 3 Series Saloon (E90) Produced from 12/02/2007 to 30/06/2011
- BMW 3 Series Touring (E91) Produced from 21/02/2007 to 30/06/2011
- BMW 3 Series Coupé (E92) Produced from 13/02/2007 to 11/07/2011
- BMW 3 Series Convertible (E93) Produced from 13/02/2007 to 11/07/2011
BACKGROUND INFORMATION RELATING TO THE TO THE BLOWER REGULATOR CONNECTION RECALL.
The blower-regulator controls the blower-motor’s fan speed within the heating and air conditioning system. BMW have discovered that irregularities in the connection together with the movement of the tin-coated connector at the end of the wiring harness could lead to frictional corrosion. This, in combination with very high current flow may lead to a temperature increase.
For vehicles affected, the blower-regulator wiring harness will need to be inspected and a new part will be installed.
Which vehicles are affected:
The blower regulator connection recall affects the certain previous generation models of the BMW 3 Series, produced from October 2004 to May 2011.
- BMW 3 Series Saloon (E90) Produced from 15/10/2004 to 08/07/2011
- BMW 3 Series Touring (E91) Produced from 22/04/2005 to 08/07/2011
- BMW 3 Series Coupé (E92) Produced from 20/04/2006 to 27/05/2011
- BMW 3 Series Convertible (E93) Produced from 28/11/2006 to 27/05/2011
What do I need to do? We will contact you to let you know your vehicle is affected.
Will I be charged for this work? This recall campaign will be completed free of charge.
How long will the repair take? We estimate that the repair will take approximately 2 hours, but this may vary for each specific vehicle. We will let you know how long they will need your vehicle in the workshop.
When can I expect to be contacted again? We will contact you when parts are available to carry out the repair to your vehicle. In the meantime, if you have any queries please contact us.
If you have any questions, please contact us below or call BMW Customer Information Services on 0800 777 114, who can provide advice.